Day 8: Body Paragraphs & Conclusion

Today we talked about organizing our body paragraphs and writing our conclusions. On Monday we'll discuss cohesion and coherence both at the paragraph and essay level.

Remember to have completely revised your diagnostic exam by next Wednesday, September 15. We will be doing peer reviews. Your final draft will be due Friday, September 17.

Here are the questions I asked you to answer regarding your body paragraphs and conclusion:
1. How many body paragraphs are in my essay? (Should be 2 or more.)
2. What are the topic sentences in my body paragraphs? (Check to make sure they have both a topic and a controlling idea.) 
3. How are these topics related to my thesis? (Why do I talk about this?) 
4. How are my body paragraphs organized? (General to specific, point-by-point, strongest to weakest, weakest to strongest, by importance?) 
5. What do I do in my conclusion? (Call to action, look to the future, connect the ideas of the body, etc.)